Heart-warming Chicken Noodle Soup
It happens every year, the cooler weather hits and I want soup. There is just something so very very comforting about sitting on the couch (because soup just shouldn’t be eaten anywhere but on the couch – haha), curled up in your softest sweatpants and socks, and your warmest sweatshirt, sipping that delicious steaming bowl of soup. Seriously, is there anything better!?
It’s no secret that Fall is my favorite time of year. Just something about it makes me come alive! I recently decided to try my hand at chicken noodle soup, but wanted to make it in the crock-pot because I’m not one for standing over the stove for hours on end. I like to cook, and then let the food do its thing.
I have to admit, this adventure was a success. The soup turned out delicious, and I cannot wait to make it again! It’s filling, hearty and warms you through and through. I highly recommend you run out and get the ingredients today, and make it for lunch all week. It would absolutely make a perfect dinner, too – I just prefer having soup for lunch.
Do you love Chicken Noodle Soup? What’s your favorite recipe? Share in the comments below!
If Chicken Noodle Soup isn’t your favorite, what kind is?
Looking for a quick, easy and FREE way to get your news? Check-out theSkimm and sign-up for your daily email box delivery of the world’s news, plus if you share your birthday, you get it listed at the bottom of the newsletter on your day. It’s like celebrating with thousands of people!!!!
I’m linking up with Peas and Crayons, join me by clicking here.
Who doesn’t love Baked Potato Soup?!
I don’t know about anyone else, but as soon as Fall rolls around and the chillier weather, all I can think about is soup. Well that’s not true, it’s not like buckets of soup fill my head BUT I do think about it an awful lot. Ha! And this year was no different, as soon as the first chilly day arrived, I was immediately gung-ho about making and eating soup. Thankfully, I have a husband who happily obliged my need for soup, and went on a hunt for something we would all like and this is what he ended up with. He likes to call it Baked Pertader Soup!
The recipe comes from The Starving Chef, whose blog seems to now be defunct. This is terribly sad because this recipe is AWESOME! You can see a snapshot of her blog and the recipe but please note, it is just from Google Cache, so you will be unable to click on anything or find any of her other recipes. I still wanted to give her credit because, like I’ve mentioned it’s a great recipe and credit is deserved.
Baked Potato Soup
Baked Potato Soup Ingredients
- 6 slices Bacon – Cubed
- 1/2 red onion – diced
- 1 green onion – chopped
- 10 baby carrots or 1 whole carrot – chopped
- 3 mushrooms – sliced
- 3 cloves garlic – diced
- 4 – 6 red pertaders – cubed
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 c milk
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt + pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in soup pot until crispy, remove and set aside for garnish. Leave grease!
- Chop up veggies. Place in soup pot with bacon grease and cook until soft.
- Wash pertaders (leave skin on). Chop into equal sized cubes, add pertaders to the pot with the veggies, stir.
- Add basil, parsley, 1/2 of the paprika and 2 cloves of garlic, stir.
- Add Chicken broth and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer until pertaders soften.
- In smaller pan, mix 1 cup milk and 1/4 c flour. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Return 1/2 of the bacon to the soup
- Take 1-2 cups of the soup, blend with a blender and then return to soup (do not fill to maximum line, hot liquid will expand).
- Add Heavy Cream and rest of spices to taste.
That’s it! Pour into a big bowl and enjoy with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream on top and don’t forget your bacon and green onion garnishes. It is so so chunky and delicious. I assure you, this is NOT a healthy recipe and I did not do any calorie calculations, but is very yummy and would go perfectly with a Sunday afternoon football game. Enjoy!